Wednesday 10 March 2010

The Butterfly Catcher

Welcome.

I often wonder if the human condition has turned me into a bit of cynic. Has the world in my eyes lost its sheen of grandeur and enchantment? I hope not. Hopefully, there’s still aspects of the existence that remain veiled in mystery. Intangible qualities that neither science can dissect nor religion ascribe to some anthropomorphised deity.


The Butterfly Catcher


Distant from a world he reviled, an embittered man lived alone in a valley. Birdsong tormented him. Flowers offended him. His one pleasure was catching butterflies. Of all the valley’s creatures, these were ugliest; their gaudy colours incensed him. What joy to watch one struggle in his net! Once exhausted, he’d lock it in a windowless room in his house. Someday, he’d rid the valley of them altogether.

One day, the man ventured into the forest. After uprooting some flowers, he noticed an unfamiliar trail. Curious, he followed it to a clearing. At its flowery heart stood an ancient tree. Joyous birdsong rang out. Cursing this new blight, he began stamping on blooms until he spied a shimmering patch of colour on the tree. A butterfly unlike any other. It blazed radiant as a cerise sunset. He edged forwards, thrusting his net over it. However, it remained still. Perplexed, the man inspected his catch. He almost dropped his net as a soft voice enquired, ‘Why are you trapping me?’

Dumbfounded, he spoke falteringly, ‘there’s too many repulsive colours….birds are too noisy…and butterflies…oh, what an abomination!’

‘But that’s how they’re made,’ it answered, ‘there’s beauty in your ugliness, music in your noise, love in your abomination…’

The man paused, suspecting a trick. ‘Why should I listen to a butterfly? Mine is the one true path…to cleanse this valley of evil!’ He spat piously.

Again, the creature spoke, ‘Set me free and I’ll grant you a wish…’

The man schemed. There was so much to eradicate! ‘Then banish all that displeases me.’

‘I’ll grant you this wish, but with one condition’, it responded, ‘never return to my realm…’

The man hastily agreed and lifted his net. Immediately, the butterfly fluttered to the uppermost branches, fanning its wings in sunlight.

Next day, the man espied birds serenading eachother. Would the butterfly keep its promise? Sure enough, the birds fell silent then vanished without trace. The man laughed.
Walking further, he spotted a meadow of flowers; every hue and every kind danced jubilantly. As he stared, they paled and withered to dust. Regarding what he’d done, he saw that it was good. ‘Exterminating vermin from my valley’s tiring,’ he yawned. Heading homeward, he heard wind murmur through leafy bowers. In his gaze, leaves curled, trees became ashen. ‘At last, I’ve rid my domain of loathsomeness,’ he gloated. Standing at his door, sunlight dazzled him through bare branches. As he squinted, this too dimmed; cobalt sky plunged into darkness. Satisfied with his accomplishments, the Butterfly Catcher slumbered.

The Dark Age endured. The man languished, ignorant of things beyond his narrow confines. He grew sad and listless. Time passed slowly, although he could no longer discern day or night, hour or week.

Abruptly, a light startled him in his abyss, hovering at the window. Rushing outside, he saw the iridescent butterfly. He called out, light dazzling him. ‘Grant me another wish! How I miss the sun on my skin…the birdsong!’

‘I’ll grant you your wish, but first, release my friends. They’re imprisoned in your house.’

‘Gladly! Oh, how wretched I’ve become!’ The man raced inside, flinging open doors and windows. Dashing outside, he gazed in wonder as a host of angels streamed from their prison. Their touch restored life; leaves sprouted, flowers blossomed. Birds chirped joyously and the wind whispered poetry.

‘Freedom is a precious gift. Thank you.’ The creature boomed.

Awestruck, the man wept stinging tears.

‘Now I have a wish - look for the beauty in creation; a diversity born of nurture and love. Perhaps we’ll meet again, Butterfly Catcher? Visit my house someday. It has many mansions...’

Ascending, the butterfly grew evermore radiant. Shedding light over the valley, the earth and finally, the universe.

(c) Edwin Black

No comments:

Post a Comment